The Congregation Shearith Israel, facing Central Park at 70th Street in New York City, was founded in 1654 and was the first Jewish Congregation to be established in North America. In 1999 Stephen Tilly, Architect began the restoration of the landmark 1897 Beaux Arts Sanctuary, designed by architect Arnold Brunner with interior finishes by Louis Comfort Tiffany. Outside, gentle mist cleaning and repair restored the luminous limestone façade. As work on interior elements progressed, Tiffany’s vision for the synagogue came to life after a century of being hidden. The interior and exterior work was
completed in 2002.
[Back to Institutional Portfolio]